How to Talk so you will be Heard
In the last 1-minute Relationship Snippet, we mentioned that listening is an art and can benefit your relationship connection immensely.
Equally as important as good listening is how you speak and what you say.
The following are some suggestions when talking…
- Try sharing without any shaming blaming or criticising.
- Try sharing using ‘I’ language rather than ‘you’ e.g. ‘I feel close to you when…’
- Try sharing without generalisations such as ‘you always’ or ‘you never’.
- Try sharing as many appreciations as possible especially before sharing any frustrations
- Try keeping any frustrations short and sweet, being mindful that it is challenging to listen.
- Try appreciating your partner after they listen to you.
Try it out with the people in your life!