Do You Worry? Try This!
For example, many of us may think in the following ways: ‘what-if’ type worries, worst-case scenario thoughts, self-critical thoughts, ruminating & dwelling on the past etc.
In order to manage the mind in as helpful a way as possible, try the following suggestions:
- Accept whatever you may be thinking or feeling. There is tremendous power and decrease in anxiety when embracing the state of acceptance.
- Remind yourself that over 97% of the things we worry about never happen!
- Just because there is uncertainty, does not mean that the worst case will happen…this uncertain situation could lead to the best-case scenario or just somewhere in between.
- Remind yourself that in the unlikely case where a particular worry does occur, you can cope better than you think: ‘I can cope just like I have done in the past!’
- Try bringing your attention back to the present as much as possible…At this moment, generally, everything is fine…the worst case is not happening right now and I am currently coping…to the mind the future is scary!
- Be grateful for your current situation…thinking thoughts of gratitude puts worrying thoughts in perspective.
The next fortnightly 1-minute Emotional Well-being snippet (which arrives every 2nd Friday morning) will focus further on dealing with difficult emotions such as anxiety mentioned above.